I’m a lucky acupuncturist.
I work with wonderful people every day and I get to hear your stories, celebrate when you get well and watch your families grow up.
I always try to think of ways to improve your health but suddenly it occurred to me— I don’t always get to share the same sets of advice with every patient.
I haven’t given you the same definitive guide to staying healthy.
This motivated me, to put together this list of things you can do to maintain your health, prevent illnesses, and thrive.
You see, there’s not one way to stay well, not two or three.
In fact, there must be 50 ways to stay healthy.
- Spend 20 minutes outdoors every day.
- Limit processed food.
- Take a walk every day.
- Balance your exercise between weight training, aerobics and stretching.
- Listen to music regularly.
- Do a random act of kindness every day.
- Eat at least 2-3 servings of fruits every day.
- Eat organic and locally produced foods.
- Get at least 8 hours of sleep every night.
- Dance regularly.
- In addition to daily walking, exercise at least 3x/week.
- Journal regularly.
- Throw out personal care products with ingredients from the dirty dozen cosmetic chemicals.
- Connect with your Higher Power every day.
- Spend time with friends.
- Limit sweets.
- Follow your passion.
- Eat at least 3-4 servings of vegetables every day.
- Lift with your legs, not with your back.
- Stay hydrated.
- Wash your fruits and vegetables, especially if you eat the peel.
- Limit alcohol.
- Have regular family meals where you eat and talk together.
- Keep your purse and wallet light
- Wash your hands regularly.
- Consume foods high in Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Practice gratitude
- Spend time with someone you love.
- Eat a healthy breakfast.
- Drink room temperature liquids.
- Follow speed limits.
- Eliminate soda.
- Eat moderate portions.
- Position your keyboard and monitor so your posture is aligned, with your wrists and head neutral.
- Limit stimulating activities before bed.
- Don’t drink and drive.
- Quit smoking.
- Take deep breaths from your belly several times a day.
- Eat whole grains.
- Practice safe sex.
- Do a big yearly cleanse and seasonal small ones.
- Laugh often
- Take a break from the computer and stretch every 45 minutes.
- Spend time in the sun, especially in the winter.
- Limit time wearing high heels.
- Stretch before running.
- Use non-toxic household cleaners.
- Prepare meals with a balance of the 5 flavors: sweet, salty, sour, pungent and bitter.
- Make sure your ladder or stool is steady before climbing onto it.
When I finished this list, I took a look at it and realized that there is one more thing you can do that keeps you healthy, continue with your follow-up acupuncture visits, whether you are coming in to treat something specific, or whether we have already resolved your initial issue, and you’re now visiting once every season for a well-person tune-up.
With or without acupuncture, I know if you follow these 50 action steps, you will experience vitality.